twitter



I am beginning to wonder whether the writers for Land Of Wealth is the same as Safe Guards? Because the story is very similar except Safe Guards was much much much better. Anyway in today's episode we shall learn the art of pushing the blame from Mr Cho himself. In fact he is the grand master of the school of Pushing The Blame, and his wife Mrs Cho and their son, King Yin are his best disciples. What nonsense Mr Cho did.. and said...


And so it began. Mr Cho basically pressured Mr Kiu to the point that he was about to sign his bank over to Mr Cho in front of the 12 managers (I didn't notice if that manager from last episode was there) and Mr Kiu's hands were shaking and suddenly he stopped and looked at Mr Cho and said "I will not do it. I will not betray my own bank and give it away just like that" and Mr Cho was like "But you're destroying the bank with your inaction, you're not fit not lead the bank anymore!" and Mr Kiu said "I wonder who is not fit to lead the bank? You are of questionable character, and you're forcing me to do this. I believe I owe this bank nothing!" and Mr Cho angrily said "But you owe the investors, the managers" and Mr Kiu said "Do I? I have always fulfilled my obligations. THe managers are well trained, they can get a job anywhere, the bank's business may be passed to other banks especially with regards to the bank's contracts. If I were to close this bank now, I do not feel I owe the bank nor the investors anything". And Mr Cho was like in his theaterics self and blamed Mr Kiu of being indulgent in  his own whims and fancy but Mr Kiu said "What then about you? What you're doing now, is it not against the best interest of the bank, the investors, the workers? Are you any more honourable than you claim yourself to be? Are your intention not to take over my position, is it not self serving as well? Do not put the blame on me, this is the results of your own undoing". Mr Kiu stayed still, still whispering his accusations against Mr Cho, perhaps hoping Mr Cho would back off but Mr Cho looked like he was never backing off, and then suddenly Bak Chuen came with that sacked assistant manager. The assistant manager rushed to face Mr Kiu and the managers and Mr Cho looked shocked when the assistant manager said "I didn't plan to come back to Ding Fung Sing Master Kiu, I didn't feel I have the face to come back to face you again" and Mr Kiu said "No no don't mention it, let us not mention the past" and the managers were asking loudly "Why did you leave so sudden? Did Master Kiu fire you?" and the assistant said "Mr Fan saved my life so I feel I must be here and Master Kiu saved my dignity and therefore I must be here to defend his honour and his good name. I wasn't fired, I resigned. I fell in love with a married woman and I ended uop beating her husband. Master Kiu not only did not blame me, he in  fact helped me to settle this problem before it became a scandal. I couldn't face him anymore for I have dishonoured the bank and myself and so I voluntarily left". The managers were shocked and Mr Kiu said "In fact Mr Cho knew of this very much earlier on and he used this to use you all against me to take control of this bank" and the managers were crying foul saying "Master Cho, although you have helped and trained me in my career, you are my mentor after all but how can you abuse our loyalty and trust to go against our own boss? How can you use us as such? How despicable you are!" and Mr Cho had nothing more to say and he could only say "And so I am defeated. You win Kiu, you win! Here take the keys to the bank! I shall leave!" and so he left but Mr Kiu saw him left with a heavy heart.


Mr Cho complained bitterly to King Yin and Mr Cho said "We shall leave this house now! I am sure with my experience I can strike it out on my own. I don't need Ding Fung Sing!!" and King Yin left with him.


Mrs Kiu, Mrs Cho, Jun and the gang came home but before Mrs Cho could walk into the mansion King Yin dropped by and told his mother "Mother, don't walk into that house again. Father and I have moved, and we shall move away from that house and those surnamed Kiu" and Mrs Kiu was like "King Yin, what happened?" and King Yin said "Father has resigned. As to why, go and ask your good husband". And so they left.


Mr Kiu explained everything to the gang and Jun expressed her worry about the family splitting up over business and Ching said "Jun, we are women here, we do not meddle into the business, let father decide" and in fact Yun Tin said "I am not worried for Uncle in law. I am sure with his experience he can strike it out on his own" and Mr Kiu was annoyed with Yun Tin and sternly asked him "Yun Tin, did you secretly meet with one of the investors whom your uncle in law has rejected as hig risk?" and Yun Tin admitted and said "Yes" and Mr Kiu scolded Yun Tin "How can you do this? There is rules within the bank and you're not to go behind the back of your first taukeh and approve a loan and using my name as well" and Yun Tin apologised and Ching tried to explain on behalf of her husband when her father reminded her what she herself just told Jun. So Ching shut up and Mr Kiu ended sternly "Yun Tin, even if you're my son in law, if you ever make such a mistake again, I will not hesitate to take disciplinary action and kick you out of Ding Fung Sing, do you understand me?" and Yun Tin said yes.


Alone Yun Tin was very happy. Now that Mr Cho has gone, he felt he is the next first taukeh. He sat on Mr Cho's seat very happy when Bak Chuen walked in and Yun Tin thanked Bak Chuen for his loyalty towards the bank and said he will take care of Bak Chuen for his loyalty. Bak Chuen just listened and walked out whilst Yun Tin was convinced he was the next in line to run the bank.


Alone in his room with Mrs Kiu, Mr Kiu noticed Mrs Kiu looked worried and said Mr Kiu knew it was because Mrs Kiu will now be Mrs Cho's enemy and Mr Kiu tried to comfort Mrs Kiu who said "My dear husband, I understand why the situation became as such. As sad as I am about my sister, I do realise her husband had tried to betray you and this is his own undoing. I will be fine, do not worry".


Mrs Cho was packing and Mrs Kiu walked in running towards Mrs Cho and tried to ask her to stay but Mrs Cho was very rude and blamed Mrs Kiu for everything. She said "Do you remember when we were little and you nearly drowned in the pool and I saved you? I don't expect gratitude from you but as my sister I do expect you to at least say some good words for my husband instead of pushing him out of the bank" and Mrs Kiu tried to explain "If not for you I wouldn't be here. My sister, we are still siblings even if our husbands are at odds. Can we not stay civil?" and Mrs Cho snorted and said "Civil? After what your husband did?" and Ko Wa couldn't stand it and retorted "But it was your husband who tried to hurt Master Kiu first" and Mrs Cho walked menacingly towards Ko Wa and shouted "Who do you think you are to speak like that? You're just a servant! In fact you're the unlucky star. Before you came into this family, you already caused my son losses in money, and now you're here you have caused my husband his job! You know what, it is better you stay you unlucky star so that you can pass your unluckiness to this Kiu people. I hope you all rot in hell!!" and stormed off, leaving Ko Wa .. ermm expressionless (well Sonija was basically expressionless when accused as unlucky star) and Mrs Kiu in tears.


King Yin was waiting for his mother and he looked around the house, almost reluctant that he was to leave. Jun saw him and said gently "Cousin" and King Yin replied "Cousin" and Jun gently said "I know that your father and my father are at odds, but we are still cousins and will always be. Cousin, if you ever need help and if I can be of any assistant, please do not hesitate to look for me" and King Yin bitterly said "Thank you cousin but I am afraid from now on we shall have a big divider between us. My loyalty lies with my father and where he goes I follow. I will never step into this mansion again and cousin, good bye" and Jun looked sad it had to be this way.


Mr Kiu had an emergency meeting with the managers and the workers. Yun Tin was secretly smiling, pleased at the turn of events. Mr Kiu reminded the managers to let bygones be bygones and work hard for the bank. He even cited Bak Chuen as a good example and praised him on his loyalty. But Mr Chong said "Sir, we can't let this bank without a first taukeh. Who till take care of the day to day management?"  Mr Kiu sat down and Yun Tin was sitting straight when Mr Kiu said "I know. That is why I will take over the first taukeh position for the moment and in future if I find a worthy candidate I will step down".


Yun Tin was angry. He bursts into his own room, bitterly angry and Ching knew what happened and said "You can't act so rashly! You can't expect things so soon husband!" and Yun Tin was so angry with what she said he almost slapped her and she said sadly "Slap me then! This is not the first time you have shown me your temper and will not be the last. I already expected this! Slap!!" and Yun Tin couldn't do it and Ching gently said "I know you're not happy. I know that. But my husband, give father some time. He can't just give the position to you now without gossips that what everything uncle in law said in the past were true. Father said he will give the position to the right candidate, so you still have a chance. Be patient my husband, your day will come soon".


Next episode, Mr Cho opens his own bank and the rivalry between Cho and Kiu intensified!


Nothing much today. No Sung Man, little of Ko Wa and little of Jun. In fact the entire episode is the rivalry between Cho and Kiu and I suppose this will be so for the next few episodes. Frankly whenever it is about business and rivalry I didn't like watching because it just shows how juvenile the situation can be and so badly written.


Here we have Mr Cho crying he has been wronged, crying he deserved better, in fact leaving the Kiu Mansion as if he was right and everybody else was wrong. Mr Kiu I believe in actual fact is very reluctant for Mr Cho to leave after all they have worked together for so many years and in some way I do feel Mr Cho jumped the gun. This is the classic case of breakdown of communication.


Yun Tin I kinda pity him. He is capable but like Ching said, he is too impatient and Mr Kiu didn't like him and I now realise for good realise; his character as in his integrity got problem. He went behind the back of a senior officer to discuss a loan already rejected and that is against the rules and speak volumes as to his ambition and his willingness to step over everyone. I hope he doesn't turn evil. I suppose when Bak Chuen takeover the bank he would need a good assistant and I think perhaps that is the purpose of Yun Tin.


Remember what I said in the beginning, the pushing blame thing? Mrs Cho excelled in it. The scene between her and Mrs Kiu really showed her true colours. Mrs Cho is really my least favourite character in here.


However I must say Mr Kiu is one useless character. I mean here he is being driven up the wall and he didn't do much. He isn't very decisive, he seems reluctant most of the time, understandably so since Mr Cho is considered like his own brother but I find Mr Kiu not as proactive as the father in Safe Guards. Although I questioned whether the father in Safe Guards is genuinely good person since everything shitty things he will give to Steven Ma's character to do, he proven himself to be a man who take actions and is governed by his conscience. Mr Kiu I have yet to see a resemblance of a powerful patriach.


But Bak Chuen will make an excellent son in law. I feel by Jun marrying him, so she didn't marry the man she loves but Bak Chuen isn't that bad either. In fact he and Ko Wa are very loyal and I find these to be good qualities.


Performances wise, sorry to say John Chiang is still deadpan. Is that his style of acting?


Moses no comment. Tavia wonderful. Chris Lai is getting better although I wonder his character didn't even question his father's actions at all. Which is why I love the character of the cousin in Beneath The Charm because he didn't side with his evil parents.


Sonija Kwok.. aiyayahhhhhh.... mostly good until that moment that requires 2 or more reaction to an action. She didn't even flinch when Mr Cho shouted "You're the unlucky star!" , not even like HUH or HAH or ERMM or EHHHHH or NOOOO or Yikes or Eeeeeee or You die old bitch!! Nope. None. Just wide eyed wonder which kinda complements Moses Wide Eyed Boredom.


Aiyahhhhhh... I so wanna praise Sonija because I really like her Ko Wa. On the other hand Tavia had her best moment in this episode when she saw King Yin and tried to appeal to him that they're still family. That was a good scene.


Lau Dan gave a very good performance as the ridiculously awful Mr Cho. Ridiculous because he basically threw his own career away again due to impatience and misunderstanding. People people, can't we just sit down, have a bun, drink a cup of tea and TALK?


How much more of this nonsensical business talk before Sung Man returns? I can't take how the takeover or rollover was done. I still can't get the "What if all managers died in a boat accident" analogy out of my mind. Ding Fung Sing is indeed in precarious situation. Sometimes I admire the power of my imagination.


 




1 comment:

  1. Mr. Kiu appears very passive because he is a follower of Buddhism. He believes in giving people changes to redeem themsleves or to correct their ways. He has strong values in family ties and though he knows that there are problems in his family, he would put up with it just to keep the relationship. In fact, he has a strong feeling to keep any type of relationship whether personal or business.

    i think he did suspect that something was wrong with Cho but he didn't expect it to be that big a fuss. He definately knows something is wrong with Yun Tun and he is wary, yet he wouldn't take any action because he doesn't want to make it difficult for his daughter.

    But when it comes to everyone's best interests, he will step up to be strong and make the tough decisions.

    And yeah, Ding Fung Sing does have backup managers, but they dont; have the connections that the managers do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Please observe rules of decorum and common courtesy when posting replies and comments.

© Copyright 2008- Funn Lim @ Point2e.com;