twitter



Written by Funn Lim


Bo Yan Ba To confronted Bak Chuen, can't remember what was said but I think it ended with Bo Yan Ba To saying Ko Wa may have feelings for Bak Chuen which I think must have stunned Bak Chuen. I don't know he hardly had any expression. But Ko Wa overheard and then she went for a long walk with Bo Yan Ba To. Not much words when at last Ko Wa said "Bo Yan Ba To, I am not going to Europe with you" and Bo Yan Ba To wanted to protest when she said "I realised what I missed was our times together, I didn't miss you. I don't love you anymore and I don't feel I can be fair to you so I think we should just call it quits" but Bo Yan Ba To said "Look don't decide too soon. Let us think about it, and if you want we can stay, we could go back to how we were in the past, you don't need to go to Europe, we can stay back". Ko Wa didn't know what to say.


As they continued their journey, Ko Wa was looking at Bak Chuen, Bak Chuen looking everywhere else and Fu Yi Chek teased Bo Yan Ba To for decorating his sister's head with too much flowers as Bo Yan Ba To tried desperately to regain Ko Wa's love and attention. Then the news came. The bandit was near, they were all going to die. Bak Chuen said "I will go and distract them, you all go run and hide near the mountains, go!" and as Bak Chuen was climbing the carriage and Bo Yan Ba To saw how stricken with panic was Ko Wa, he quickly pulled Bak Chuen down and rode away. Before he was out of earshot, he shouted "Fan Chi Chai, you take good care of Ko Wa!!!!!!" and Ko Wa I think shouted no but I can't remember. They hid near the mountains, wondering how was Bo Yan Ba To who was now surrounded by bandits. He fought valiantly and as he screamed he ran towards the leader on a horse with his sword when the leader pulled out a gun and they all heard a single gun shot and Ko Wa screamed "Bo Yan Ba To...nooooooooooo".


Pause here.


Let me take a big guess. Since TVB has a habit of showing people who died actually dying, I would guess Bo Yan Ba To didn't die? I mean later Ko Wa will marry Mr Kiu, Bak Chuen marries Jun, so when Mr Kiu dies, Bak Chuen as honourable as he was will not be with Ko Wa again and Ko Wa can't grow old alone. So I suppose Bo Yan Ba To will return and sweep her off her feet again? Ermmm does this make sense to you?


Continue. They returned home and was greeted by a stony faced Yun Tin. Hardly had they explained the ordeal they went through, all looking hurt, bruised and injured, Yun Tin immediatly blamed them for closing the bank and losing the account books. Bak Chuen tried to take all the blame but the 1st taukeh kept repeating "But I make the decision. Blame it on me alone!" and Yun Tin basically suspended them two and allow Fu Yi Chek and one other to continue to work since "you were both deceived by lies". Fu Yi Chek was very angry "To think we all almost died coming back here, to those who died protecting the bank's assets, he should have been more grateful but he wasn't!" but Fu Yi Chek was convinced when Mr Kiu is back he will put things right.


Mr Kiu arrived home when he saw Ko Wa who said "I am back Sir, Madam" and Mr Kiu looked at her mournful face and he immediately asked to see them all (minus Ko Wa) and said "I heard the news. Tell me what happened" and so they described what happened. Mr Kiu asked Yun Tin "Why did you arrive at your decision?" and Yun Tin explained "They lost the account books, they closed the bank without consent from the main branch, all these were huge losses to the bank" and Mr Kiu looking as serious as he was every other day quietly asked 1st taukeh "Where is the 2nd taukeh?" and he answered "He died, protecting me sir" and Mr Kiu was shocked. Then Fu Yi Chek added "Even our Mongolian friend died distracting the bandits, which was how we managed to go away". Then Mr Kiu stunned asked "How many left and reached here?" and I think it was the 1st taukeh who said "Most were locals so we left with Chi Chai, myself, 2nd taukeh and 4 others and the Mongolian friend (I remember he said 4 died). Only we managed to come back, overall 4 didn't make it sir." and Bak Chuen said "We wrote for instruction from the management on what to do but it never came and we had no choice sir, it was my fault, I pushed for the closure of the bank" and the 1st aukeh said "Sir, it was my fault, I made the decision, it is not Chi Chai's decision alone, I was the 1st taukeh, I am willing to bear the responsibility".


Mr Kiu was very distressed and Yun Tin suddenly realised he too made a big mistake because he hadn't bothered to ask how many made it, he just wanted to hurt Bak Chuen. Mr Kiu angrily and tearfully looked at Yun Tin and said loudly "You were talking about account books, money and the bank. You placed much importance in the materials, you think those as losses for the banks. But hear me this time, the real assets of this bank is these few people, our workers! They died protecting the bank's interest and your only and immediate concern was the books?! If you had carried yourself the way you should as the taukeh and made a decision on this issue without them having to wait, perhaps there wouldn't be so many lives lost! You reflect on that!" and Yun Tin looked well serious. Then Mr Kiu said to Bak Chuen "I have nothing more I could say than to express my deepest gratitude on behalf of the bank for your dedication to the bank. You have shown yourself a true leader and for that you're hereby promoted to 3rd taukeh. As for the rest of you, you shall all stay here until the situation stabilises over there and then you shall return. Meanwhile, you shall each have a bonus and I thank you all".


Alone, Yun Tin met with Mr Kiu who didn't bother to look at him. Yun Tin said "I have failed you father, and so I must resign. I should have made the decision I didn't make" and as he waited for Mr Kiu to say something and he didn't, Yun Tin left the letter on the table and left.


Pause here. Yun Tin truly failed everyone. I expected more from him. He is not a bad person but stupidly ambitious.


Anyway Yun Tin stormed into his room and scolded the servants. Ching said "Why are you scolding them?" and Yun Tin said "Well I wouldn't have that opportunity in future" and Ching asked "What do you mean?" and he said "I have resigned and father hadn't even bothered to persuade me to stay!" and Ching angrily said "How many times have I said, don't act too rashly? How many times?" and Yun Tin said "It doesn't matter. We will leave. Pack now and we leave immediately" and Ching was shocked and Yun Tin said "What do you expect? Stay after all these? I am no longer an employee so I musn't stay! I can't bear the humiliation!" and Ching said "No, noo at least I must ask my parents for their blessing, I must" and Yun Tin said "No need to bother. No need to pack. We go now!" and Ching refused as Yun Tin tried to drag her away and then Mrs Kiu and I think her servant or Jun I think were there and Ching held on to Mrs Kiu and cried "Mother, Yun Tin wants me to leave with him. He can't bear the humiliation after father refused to persuade him to stay when he resigned" and Mrs Kiu said "Your father was just trying to advice you, can't you take his advice, why must you leave?" and Yun Tin was very angry and said "Either you leave with me now or I will issue you a divorce letter!" and Ching was shocked and Mrs Kiu was crying and saying "How can you say that? How can you do that to my beloved daughter? I will not allow it! I will not..." and she fainted.


Doctor diagnosed her as suffering from some incurable illness. I think stomach cancer or cancer but she was dying. Mr Kiu was looking serious and Ching and Jun were both crying. Jun blamed herself for making her mother's health worsen with worries over her union with Sung Man, Ching blamed herself for the worries over her marriage. Mrs Kiu blamed neither and feebly said "I will be alright, you will see". Yun Tin felt guilty and as the doctor left he said to Mr Kiu "Let me follow the doctor to collect the medicine" and Mr Kiu looked at him seriously and said "No, you will take care of the management of the bank for me since I will be spending more time here" and Yun Tin understood Mr Kiu's meaning and nodded.


Alone, Mr Kiu was praying and Ko Wa was there and overheard him say "Please guide me through this difficult phase. My wife and I have been together since we were children, I have been blessed all these years with her love and concern. Please let her be well again, and in return I am willing to deduct ten years of my life for her". Ko Wa walked in and Mr Kiu was surprised to see her when Ko Wa said "Mrs Kiu was very worried about you so she asked me to give you a coat" but Mr Kiu didn't need it. Can't remember what happened next.


Next few days Mrs Kiu showed signs of recovery, and Mr Kiu took her to visit the bank for the very first time! Shocking. She has never visited the bank! Mrs Kiu was very impressed with the bank and Mr Kiu said "If you want my dear, when you're better I will accompany you to visit all the branches" and Mrs Kiu looked at him lovingly and nodded.


Then Mrs Kiu with Jun, Ching were sitting in the garden making dumplings. Ko Wa was curious about the dumplings and Mrs Kiu asked Ko Wa to sit down and she taught Ko Wa how to make dumplings. "Hmmm yours is ok Ko Wa but a bit too big. Always make it smaller because each dumpling bears good fortune and blessing so it is more auspiscious if it was smaller so that Mr Kiu can eat more" and Ko Wa was curious and said "Madam is so thoughtful for Mr Kiu" and Mrs Kiu said "Ko Wa, remember what I said" and Ko Wa was curious why Mrs Kiu spoke to her that way.


And frankly I think the episode ended here. I can't remember much since I am writing this much later. Next episode Mrs Kiu was dying and she asked Ko Wa for a favour; to take care of Mr Kiu on her behalf.


Wedding bells soon?


No comments on performances but that scene where Mr Kiu scolded Yun Tin was very emotional and very well done. I totally agreed with Mr Kiu and felt Yun Tin failed everybody. A very sad scene also. I think episode 19 and episode 20 were the best thus far amongst all the crisis Ding Fung Sing faced. If you feel bored with this series, focus on the Mongolian branch crisis and how Mr Kiu scolded Yun Tin in that emotional scene, also how Fu Yi Chek was choking back tears. Worth the time to watch.


And John Chiang gave his best performance in that scene because he looked like he was alive and a human being after all. I also like Stephen Wong in that scene, the way he was choking back tears as he explained what happened to Mr Kiu. They were discarded by Yun Tin and in front of Mr Kiu they were like children seeking absolution from Mr Kiu the father figure. Best scene in this episode.


 




7 comments:

  1. That's all your summary for episode 20?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I thought you just wrote a super short summary of

    "Bo Yan Ba To confronted Bak Chuen, can’t remember what was said but I think it ended with Bo Yan Ba To saying Ko Wa may have feelings for Bak Chuen which I think must have stunned Bak Chuen. I don’t know he hardly had any expression."

    for this episode.

    Ignore my previous comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bo Yan Ba To is gone for good. He won't come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kidd, he's really really really dead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so. But, you got to confirm with Elizabeth. As far as I know, he's really dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, he's dead! The bandit was aiming for his head! Plus, there were heaps of armed bandits and he only had himself. Even though he killed half of them single-handedly, the rest would overpower him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it was artistic filming technique. Depressing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Please observe rules of decorum and common courtesy when posting replies and comments.

© Copyright 2008- Funn Lim @ Point2e.com;