twitter



Written by Funn Lim


I don't think I can stand waiting  days before I see the next few episodes because today's cliffhanger is shall I say, a  cliffhanger. The Chinese New Year shows will disrupt the normal broadcast and the cliffhanger was just right. Did ASTRO planned this? Anyway back to the descend of Sonija Kwok...


A warning though. I am not sure it is about counterfeit coins or money laundering so I will make a supposition it is either one of these or both. You will know what I mean when I talk more on the plot.


Bak Chuen continued to buy good favours of the officers, this time Sir Chai with the help of Ko Wa... well I will refer to her as Ling Lung for now since we are not supposed to know she is Ko Wa, like that is so obvious you know. Anyway Ling Lung helped to persuade Sir Chai during a roundtable of talks and Bak Chuen bought himself the position of a 4th ranked official, with some official garb. Jun and family were happy and Bak Chuen received a congratulory gift from Ling Lung. Actually Ling Lung has already targetted him as her way out of prostitution and so she treated him very well. Bak Chuen kept going back to him again and again to confirm if she's Ko Wa or not. According to Ling Lung, she suffered from a serious illness 2 years ago and she forgotten her past and it was her mamasan who related it back to her and so Bak Chuen suspected she must be Ko Wa, constantly testing her of Ko Wa's likes and dislikes and in one short moment Ling Lung had a flashback and she almost could see herself as Ko Wa with Bak Chuen. Bak Chuen meanwhile remembered his past with Ko Wa too and so one wonders is he having a change of heart?


Jun didn't know all these, neither did Fu Yi Chek. Pause here. I wonder, was Ko Wa missing for TWO YEARS?


Anyway Sung Man paid a visit to Bak Chuen and Jun and they sat down and had a friendly talk. Jun even advised Sung Man on issues of love but to Sung Man he didn't want to talk about it. They remained close friends. Anna appeared and endeared herself to Bak Chuen and Jun with her honesty and her curiosty and they both knew she liked Sung Man. When Sung Man was alone with Anna, Anna tried to learn the culture to please Sung Man when suddenly a bunch of anti-foreigners protesters from last episode disturbed Anna and threw dirty water on her dress as she was dressed like a foreigner. Anna was upset and Sung Man saved the day.


Meanwhile Bak Chuen bought a big huge expensive mansion in Beijing and showed it off to Sir Chai who was much impressed. Pause here...


I don't think I talked about the counterfeit money in the last recap. Anyway the country was beseiged by counterfeit money or rather illegal money laundering. I am still wondering which is which but anyway it was bad and so Sung Man and Sir Chui were both investigating this matter which they believe involved some big guns.


Anyway suddenly a bunch of guys wheeled in some carts into Bak Chuen's backyard and Sir Chai panicked a bit because he knew that guy. Bak Chuen knew they knew each other and when the guards came to enquire about the missing guys and the carts, Bak Chuen helped Sir Chai by admitting they were his men, the carts were just business stuff and when one coin suddenly fell onto Bak Chuen's feet, he stood on it and concealed the truth. Sir Chai was much impressed by Bak Chuen's quick thinking. Meanwhile Sung Man saw all that happened hidden outside and now he knew Sir Chai was one of the big guns involved.


Sir Chai was grateful to Bak Chuen and happily declared "Anything you need done, tell me. I will be glad to assist you!" and Bak Chuen said "Well there is one thing. My bank has been in quite a few problems thanks to the despicable Mr Cho of Wing Hang Tai. If sir could teach Wing Hang Tai some lesson, I will be most grateful" and Sir Chai agreed to look into it.


Pause here. Did Bak Chuen seriously want to teach Mr Cho a lesson or is he trying to impress Sir Chai with his ruthlessness, that he's not that meek a person? Don't know and will probably know later. I believe Mr Cho has exhausted his own story, except I suppose he shall be the one to reveal the ultimate truth about Bak Chuen; that he's a fugitive. I suspect as much.


Anyway when Mr Chai was alone with Sung Lai, Sung Lai mentioned Ding Fung Sing and why Mr Chai was so nice to them and whether they should be wary of Bak Chuen since he knows about the money laundering and counterfeit coins. Mr Chai said "This Fan Chi Chai is cunning fellow. But he is still of some use to us. I can still remember how Ding Fung Sing under that imbecile Kiu Boon Yip refused to donate money and almost cost me my job. I will repay Ding Fung Sing ten fold for the humiliation but meanwhile Fan Chi Chai will be of great use to us. He can be our scapegoat and it is good to have the backing of a bank to help us in our counterfeit/money laundering business. When it is time, he shall take the blame for us".


Does Bak Chuen know???? Surely he does...


So one day Sir Chai went to deposit $100 into his savings account at Ding Fung Sing, he got back his savings book and it was noted as $1,000. He was very happy and so we learn the origins of how to give bribes effectively and without suspiscions. Very educational.


Meanwhile Jun walking on the streets when one day she saw Bak Chuen and Ling Lung and they looked very close as Bak Chuen held Ling Lung. Jun was very shocked because first, she thought that was Ko Wa and secondly Ko Wa was supposed to be Bak Chuen's mom in law. Jun felt faint but didn't pursue anything. At home even her maid started to wonder why Bak Chuen was always home late and when Jun asked Bak Chuen was secretive and said there were business talks. Jun knew he lied and she consulted Master Kwan and told Master Kwan to investigate. She found out Ling Lung was a  famous prostitute and she followed Ling Lung who was buying a handkerchief. Jun said softly "Mother" and Ling Lung turned around and asked Jun who she was talking to and Jun said nothing and struck a casual conversation with Ling Lung when Ling Lung said "I have my eyes on a businessman. He seems like a good man and would make a good husband. I wish to give this handkerchief to him as my token of love" and Jun knew who she was talking about and was so upset she fainted.


Pause here. Ko Wa even when she lost her memory still fell for the same man! So surely Bak Chuen is the love of her life.


Anyway Jun woke up in a clinic and Ling Lung was with her. She was told by the doctor that she was pregnant and Ling Lung was thrilled for her but Jun wasn't.


At the temple Jun was feeling nauseas and fainting when she bumped into Sung Man who seems to make temples as his permanent home these days. They sat down and immediately Sung Man knew first Jun was upset about something and two, she is pregnant. Jun was surprised Sung Man knew and said "Please don't tell Chi Chai, I don't want him to know" and though Sung Man didn't know what was troubling her, he said ok. Then Jun switched topic and asked Sung Man about his relationship with Anna and said "She is good for you Sung Man. Do not let a good thing pass you by or you will regret it" and Sung Man quietly nodded. I am sure deep down he is saying "You're that good thing Jun and I have passed you by and I now regret it!" because he looked like he was suffering.


Jun went home and saw Anna who was waiting for him to join her in some festival celebration. Sung Man didn't want to go, Anna was making him go when suddenly something got cut off (yes there was this surprise editing) and so one scene Sung Man was looking one way and Anna the other and they were still talking about going or not going when cut! next scene Anna was looking at Sung Man as she felt so embarrassed at Sung Man who looked in pain as Anna suddenly said "Oh really it's ok if you don't wanna go. In fact I must go now, so ermm bye bye!!" and cheerfully or pretend cheerfully she left with Sung Man looking rather in pain. I am sure something got cut because the scene was too abrupt.


At home Anna was crying, her father asked her what was the matter and she tearfully said "Daddy, why won't Sung Man love me? What is wrong with me?" and her father cheered her up by saying she's the greatest, he was an idiot and it was his loss. Anna cheered up a bit. Hmm.... insulting your loved one will cheer one up I suppose.


Anna and her father were in a carriage when suddenly they were attacked by that same stupid gang. The relevance of this story? Probably the escalating violence against foreigners and that Anna will have to leave soon and so Sung Man must make a choice. Let me guess; if he didn't die, he will leave for France to find Anna or something like that.


Anyway, Jun was very upset. Master Kwan confronted Bak Chuen and asked him about Ling Lung and wondered if Bak Chuen was rekindling his love with Ko Wa which was overheard by Jun but Jun didn't hear how Bak Chuen and Ko Wa later became friends and such. Jun felt betrayed, that there was a secret love affaid and that her father was cheated. This was more so when she saw Bak Chuen with the handkerchief that Ling Lung bought. She refused to let him touch her and Bak Chuen wondered why and Jun answered "Let me answer it for you. That handkerchief is by Ba Ba Ha Yi Ko Wa and you're rekindling your relationship with her. How can you do that? Not only is she my mother, she is your mother in law, your benefactor's wife and how could you defile my father's memory with this affair" and Bak Chuen tried to explain but Jun shot him down and said "I know I have given you permission to marry other wives so I have not much right to say but why Ko Wa? How can you lie to me, how can you be so secretive abou this if you and Ko Wa were just friends?" and she was so upset she fainted. Later Bak Chuen was very happy to find out later she was pregnant and wondered why she didn't tell him.


Pause here. They talk as if Ling Lung is Ko Wa, and if such is the case shouldn't they inform Fu Yi Chek?


Anyway even her maid scolded Bak Chuen when Bak Chuen wondered why Jun never told him about the pregnancy. Bak Chuen then told the maid to leave very politely (I would have thrown her out for being so rude) and as he held Jun in his arms on the bed, he explained to Jun everything. So Jun knew her father knew about his relationship with Ko Wa and he explained "I suspected she is Ko Wa but I can't be sure. I didn't want to tell you and Fu Yi Chek because I wasn't sure. What if she wasn't Ko Wa? You and Fu Yi Chek have been finding her all these time, I didn't want you both to be disappointed again and again. That is why I didn't tell you both. Moreover there is an issue with scandal since if she is Ko Wa she is staying in a prostitute den and that could damage Kiu family's good name if not investigated carefully" and Jun added "Why should I believe you? Are you saying this just because I am pregnant?" and Bak Chuen said "No, I am saying this because you're my wife. I Fan Chi Chai has one wife and one wife only and that is you. I have no intention of marrying another, more so Ko Wa and she and I came to an understanding that we shall be friends and I am telling you the truth" and Jun was still not sure if Bak Chuen was sincere when Bak Chuen said seriously "I have one more thing to tell you. I am a fugitive...." and Jun looked shocked and so the episode ended here.


Arghhhhhh... climax.... cliffhanger!!! 5 days  before the next few episodes which shows Jun looked like she died or something, Sung Man got shot, drama! Poor Jun!


Anyway I like Jun in here. She seems meek but she is actually quite a jealous woman as she learned to love Bak Chuen whilst Bak Chuen seems like rekindling his love for Ko Wa through Ling Lung but then he denied it. Sung Man, poor Sung Man  suffering and when Jun advised him not to miss out on Anna or he will regret it, he looked at her with a pained look as if to say I missed out on you and I am regretting it.


All in all, great performances by Steven Ma and Tavia Yeung. The rest are ok except for...


Moses Chan is still wood, woody and wooden. Anything wood and he is it. One expression to rule them all. What more can I say? Same same same like his expression in the entire episode.


Sonija Kwok was shockingly terrible. I didn't even know her Ling Lung eyed Bak Chuen as husband material until she said it because most of the time she was smiling and whatever and yet not much indication on that area. Why the suspense of is she or isn't she Ko Wa? This really destroyed the credibility of this story and I find it ridiculous for this twist in the plot. And everyone who knows seems unconcerned with the fact that this woman possibly Ko Wa is NOW a prostitute. No attempt to revive her memory, no attempt to save her from her predicament. This is lazy writing.


Worst had to be Erica Yuen as Anna. Perky fine, more perkiness, ok but perky perky perky and then bad crying and then perky and then more bad crying.. that is just bad acting. I felt tortured watching her in this episode and totally understand why Sung Man wasn't into her and didn't understand how can his father pass up something as great as Jun for this well... not very bright girl who smiles like an idiot when people are talking politics, had no manners but people often mistake no manners on others' custom as being spontaneous (my foot!) and just perky happy cheerful cute. I am dying from the overload of overall niceness of this girl. No personality and this is also due to a very formulaic ABC 1,2,3 performance.


Other than that, that last words, I am a fugitive will leave me wanting more. Can't wait for the next episode.


 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Please observe rules of decorum and common courtesy when posting replies and comments.

© Copyright 2008- Funn Lim @ Point2e.com;