twitter



Written by Funn Lim


 


Before I begin, I ealised I made possibly 3 major mistakes in my recaps;




1. Ping Sum is yes yes yes Ming Sum, finally could hear it clearly;




2. Ko Wa did not ask Bak Chuen to run away with her as shall be explained below




3. According to Kidd, Bo Yan Ba To really realy died, so all those running towards bandit screaming and bandit shooting and camera shiftedaway and no signs of dead body were all merely ... well ... creative filming. I have wronged TVB; they could actually made some artistic scene. Sigh...




Ok, recap proper.




Curiously this episode started with a meeting between Mr Cho, Mr Lam and some officials where Mr Cho wanted to bribe Mr Lam to give him the government grants I think to issue currency and all. You see business talk so I kinda tuned off. Mr Lam kinda agreed.




Next scene Bak Chuen met with Sung Man and discussed about life in general when Sung Man expressed a small regret that he is now without position and "I lived here as a ranked officer, and now I returned as a mere assistant, how my fortunes have changed" and Bak Chuen concsoled him by saying "You're a good person, a good honest official, you will get your job back" and then Bak Chuen kinda asked Sung Man what kind of person Mr Lam was or something like that and Sung Man was reluctant to answer when Bak Chuen said "I never quite see Mr Lam as someone well..with honest intention and when Sung Man refused to answer and he was very quiet Bak Chuen apologised for making assumptions. Sung Man said "His majesty is keen on making changes. He has in fact proposed some radical changes in the administration and policies, thing if can be continued on wiwill make a great impact and ensure the survival of this great empire". BAk Chuen was cynical and he said "How can that happen when great changes mean a disturbance on the positions of the officials who are all very comfortable where they are? It could never work because oppositions will be great by those who wants to proptest their own vested interests" and Sung Man said "Chi Chai, you too know the perils we are facing, indeed you are right" and then Mr Lam's assistance came out and Mr Lam wanted to see Sung Man so Sung Man went away for awhile when the assistant quietly spoke to Sung Man "I could hardly believe you are now the 3rd taukeh, what a meteoric rise. Well may I ask what is the interest rate right now? " and Bak Chuen answered him and even offered him a lower interest rate and the assistant was grateful and said "Thank you, you're indeed a very decisive taukeh of Ding Fung Sing. Well I have always thought Ding Fung Sing did very good job with the government's grants and all and I see no reason to change bank but you do know the grant is now up for review and some other person is interested in the business" and Bak Chuen said "Mr Cho?" and the assistant said "If I were you I will be very attentive to this issue of the grant with Mr Lam, don't say I didn't warn you". Bak Chuen thanked him.




Bak Chuen met with Mr Lam in a restaurant and Bak Chuen was very honest with mr Lam and said "I heard a rumour Mr Lam, that a certain person intends to take away the grant from Ding Fung Sing. If that is true, I have Mr Kiu's full authority to offer you any assistance you may require so that we can coninue this relationship" and Mr Lam laughed and said "Indeed, Ding Fung Sing is indeed very determined and decisive and you are very honest in this issue. You're so young and already a 3rd taukeh..." and Bak Chuen suddenly changed topic and said "Actually there will be many more years before I am the 1st taukeh and that is not my intention. I want richness and the only way to that is to stick with the right crowd and get myself some official title" and Mr Lam was curious and said "Well, you can do what Mr Cheung did and study for a position" and Bak Chuen said "I am not that learned, I'd rather pay for it" and Mr Lam laughed and said "Well that is not difficult" and Bak Chuen asked "So is do Mr Lam know the right circles?" and Mr Lam said "Yes I do, in fact I know the right people in this issue" and Bak Chuen was eager and he asked "So who are those people?" and pause here.




At this point I kinda realised Bak Chuen was trying to get the rat to reveal its nest, very clever but Mr Lam suddenly recomposed himself and ended up laughing but didn't reveal much and he said "I do apologise, I can't reveal the names. You know,those are delicate matters" and Bak Chuen changed tone and said "Indeed, identities are very important, I understand Mr Lam, I apologise for asking".




Well Bak Chuen followed Mr Lam and saw him walking into some temple. Bak Chuen walked into the main hall and saw the wooden worship things bearing his family's names and he was overcome by emotions as he knelt down and cried "Father, mother, grandma, Sok Lan,Ming Sum... I have been most unfilial, I have failed you all..." and he sobbed quite loudly and he said "I will avenge your deaths, I will find the culprits, I will clear our family name!" and unbeknownst to him, Uncle Lam overheard him.




Uncle Lam went to see Sung Man and enquired about BAk Chuen and his past but Sung Man didn't know thing except Bak Chuen was someone he knew FIVE years ago.




Wow! 5 years have passed! So how long have Jun waited for him? Anyway mistake here as we shall see later. Just take note of the 5 years issue.




Meanwhile, Ko Wa misssed Mrs Kiu (may I say more than Bo Yan Ba To!) as he was sewing clothes and Mr Kiu passed by and asked her why and she said "I didn't know how to sew but Mrs Kiu taught me to sew" and Mr Kiu said "She loved to sew, all my clothes were sewn by her eventhough I told her not to do that, because of her failng health" and Ko Wa said "Sir, for a woman nothing is more giving than thatto sew a dress for her beloved, it is an act of love" and Mr Kiu quietly reflected on that. And then Ko Wa saw his coat was torn and voluntered to sew it and as she was doing that and Mr Kiu was reading, a maid saw what happened and quickly walked away, saw another maid and said with malice "Oh I must wash my eyes now! How disgusting!" and the maid asked "What are you saying? You saw.. a ghost?" and she said "No, worse! I saw Ko Wa and sir hlding hands. Madam had hardly died 6 months ago and now this has happened" and the servant said "I don't believe you, sir loves Madam very much, you must have seen wrongly" and that maid said "Of course Sir is not the problem, Ko Wa is! She is trying tio climb the ladder of status and replace Madam's position!" and the servant said "No! She can't do that!'" and the maid said "Well just let's go, she is disgusting!" and this was overheard by Mrs Cho.




Mrs Cho saw Ching and she said "Let's not blame me if you didn't hear it for me, if you're not careful, you might let a wily fox in" and Ching was like "What are you talking about?" and she explained "Ko Wa, she is trying to replace your mother, you do be careful" and Ching asked "When did you feel so much concern for my welfare or his family's welfare?" and the aunt said "I am your aunt, of course I care about your welfare" and Ching just retorted back and said "Well you are MRS CHO, this is the KIU family, perhaps you should mind your own business" and Mrs Cho was like "Hmphhh, don't say I didn't warn you!" and actually Ching was worried.




Next day some chickens died. Mrs Cho stirred things up by making up stories about a wily she devil fox in the house and even pointed to some images on the wall resembling a fox drawn up with water and the servants were very scared and Jun was confused and Ching told them all to shut up and go about their own business. But Ching was indeed very worried.




At night 2 servants girls were too scared to go to the toilet so they turned back when Ko Wa suddenly appeared with a lantern and one fainted, one screamed. Mrs Cho stirred things up again and already Mr Kiu told them all to shut up about this.




Ko Wa met with Bak Chuen secretly and revealed her sadness at those rumours and suddenly Bak Chuen went mental with her by asking "Have you ever thought of revenge? Go againnst those who spoke badly of you? Avenge your own reputation? Because it will never stop. WHY, WHY THE HEAVENS MUST PUNISH GOOD POEPLE WHILST THOSE WHO SHOULD BE PUNISHED ARE NOT? WHY MUST THE INNOCENT BEAR THE BURDEN OF GUILT WHILST THE GUILTY NEVER OUNISHED? WHY IS THE HEAVEN SO COLD AND CURLE? WHY? WHY? WHYYYY?". Yes, in that tone. Ko Was was like freaked out and said "Chi Chai, it was just rumours, no big deal! As long as I am innocent things will be set right " and Bak Chuen said "What if it doesn't?" and Ko Wa cheerfully said "Don't worry, it will" and she said "I have thought for some time. I think perhaps it is time I set things right, I will explasin to Mr Kiu about my feelings in these rumours. No one knows I am already seeing you, notr even Fu Yi Chek but I will indicate as much to Mr Kiu" and Bak Chuen smiled a little.




Ko Wa met with Mr Kiu and she said "Sir, I am a Mongolian, I do not know the rules of the Chinese so I may be blunt but I hope sir will understand" and Mr Kiu said "I know you're someone with integrity, I know that Ko Wa" and so Ko Wa said "Sir, regarding those rumours, I am not trying to blame anyone but I just want to make it clear to you, I have no intentions of being a phoenix, I have never had any intentions to breplace Madam. I just need some food and shelter, I am here for my brother and that is all" and Mr Kiu said "I know and I understand" then the butler walked by and Mr Kiu sternly said "There are too many rumours in this household amongst the maids, see to that they stop the rumours" and the butler said "Yes sir".




But it never stop because the culprit stirred things up. This time Mthe tree planted by Jun and Sung Man died and again it was the she foix devil's fault. Now the servants were panicking, big time and they all wanted to quite and all.




Pause here. I may have jumbled up this scene with the night scene but never mind, the dialogue is accurate". They all blamed Ko Wa and Ko Wa tried to defend herself and even Jun was on her side when Ching suddenly said (and Yun Tin was there and surprisingly he was not involved) "There is a way to stop all these rumours. Ko Wa, you're fired! You must leave this house!" and Ko Wa was panicking and crying "No miss, no, please don't" and suddenly Mr Kiu appeared.




Alone, Mr Kiu looked sternly at a very stubborn Ching. Ching explained "The servants were afraid so Ko Wa had to go" and Mr Kiu sternly said "How can you believe in all these hocus pocus?" and Ching said "How can I not? Far too many things have happened, it could be true" and Mr Kiu loudly said "You're the head of this household, you take care of this family, and the servants in here, not only did you not stop the rumours, you play by their rules! If the servants insist on leaving, then pay them their salary and let them leave!" and Ching angrily said "ather, is Ko Wa that important?" and Mr Kiu was like "What are you saying?" and CHing said "Father, the rumours, they are true! Ko Wa wants to take mother's position, and mother has died only 6 months ago! I will not let this conniving woman replace mother, she will never replace her!" and Mr Kiu was raising his voice and scolded Ching "You're to do what you're told. You are my daughter, you do not rule my life and said what I can or can't do! I will do what I want to do and you will do your duty and mind your own business!" anmd Ching tearfully left with Yun Tin hugging her and walking away as Jun and Ko Wa saw them leave. Ko Wa was sad and said "I know I have brought much trouble to Mr Kiu and Big miss, the last thing I want is Mr Kiu to scold Big Miss" and Jun said "Don't worry, father is fair and just, he will give the best decision" but Ko Wa looked stricken with guilt.




Alone she met with Bak Chuen and she told Bak Chuen what happened and Bak Chuen listened carefully and then Ko Wa said "There is a way to stop all these. I can tell them I already have someone in my heart and you can marry me, if I am married all these rumours will stop!" and Bak Chuen smiled a little and said "Well you certainly put your point across" and Ko Wa asked "Won't you marry me?" and Bak Chuen held her and said "Of course I will" and Ko Wa said "Let's see Mr Kiu now, we tell him now!" and Bak Chuen smiled and said "Mr Kiu is out doing business, moreover I have an errand to run. I will tell him later today" and Ko Wa hugged him tightly and smiled happily.




Bak Chuen went to the forest and knelt down and prayed to his family. He was tearful and promised revenge when Mr Lam was there and Bak Chuen saw him and Mr Lam said "You're Chai Bak Chuen! You switched places with someone! That is punishable by law!" and Bak Chuen said "YES, I am Chai Bak Chuen! You killed my father, my family! Why? My father has always been good rto you, he was always honest and righteous, why did you treat him as such? Why did you betray him? " and that bastard said "It is because your father was a fool! He was a stupid fool with his stand on righteousness. He offended the powerful and so he repaid it with his life! He was an idiot!" and Bak Chuen shouted "My father was not a fool! My father was a good man! You were the despicable one!" and Mr Lamhouted with malice "I will not let you go this time. I will make sure the emperor knows of this! You're lucky to have lived these past 4 years! You, the only living descendant of the Chai (actually he said in cantonese Sei Jing Jung which is far worse than how I described it) will die and I will bring down all your loved ones! I will make sure all you care about will die for you, I will make sure you will meet your death!" and Bak Chuen said "You will be punished! I will make sure the officials know of this and return my family's good name!" andMr Lam said spitefully "Punish me? Never! The only way I will be punished is when I die. Then you can drag me to the courtsbefore the God Of Hell and punish me!!" and Bak Chuen was so angry and he said "If that is the case, I will kill you now!" and he fought with Mr Lam, struggled, fought, struggled, fought and then Mr Lam tripped and knowkced his head on a tree and fainted. Bak Chuen took up a big rock and was about to knock him dead and I was like "DO IT! DO IT! SMASH HIS HEAD!" (well injustice does turn me into a violent person I suppose) but he hesitated. And then he heard footsteps and he walked away panicking.




Well he is not a murderer.




Mr Lam stirred a little.




Bak Chuen walked away quickly, looking discheveled when he saw 2 guards walking by and he quickly turned away, the guards were suspiscious and followed him when suddenly a monk wit his face hjidden by a big straw hat asked for donation and Bak Chuen gave him money and the guards walkled away. When Bak Chuen wanted to run the monk held his hand and he was the monk that raised him.




In a room, Bak Chuen calmed down and the monk said "Can't you let this go?" and Bak Chuen said "Never" and the monk asked "But you didn't kill that man, yoiu hesitated, there is still time to stop Bak Chuen" and Bak Chuen said "I can't let them die without reason, without their names cleared. I understand now. To exact revenge, I must first amass power, position and wealth. Only then can I fight these people and avenge my family's death" and the monk said "Bak Chuen listen to me, if you are troubled read the scriptures, let the scriptures guide you" and Bak Chuen nodded.




You know I was like at this point "Monk, save your breath! He wants revenge" and I told my sis, "You know Bak Chuen should just become a monk" and my sis asked me "But won't you avenge my death if that happened to me?" and I said "My codename as a monk will be Let It Be and my nephew will be Forget It". Very funny!




Ko Wa was walking theon the street, stopping by a stall to pick up a ermm what do you call those Fai Chun? Anyway she was smiling and ten she saw avery serious looking Bak Chuen and she was very worried. Alone she asked him "Are you alright?" and Bak Chuen thought for awhile and said "Ko Wa, I can't marry you" and Ko Was was shocked and asked "Why?" and he said "You will be an obstacle to my career. Branch managers can't have family and I want a career, I want pwer, I want to be 1st taukeh and you will only be in my way!" and Ko Wa was like "I love you, all I want is some meals and you, I don't care about wealth, I don't need good food every day" and Bak Chuen said "It is not what you want, it is what I want, I can't marry you Ko Wa" and Ko Wa was soi angry she slapped him and said "I never thought you're this kind of man! How can you do this to me?" and Bak Chuen said "This is better, that you reacted the way you did, at least then we don't owe one another anything and we can move on" and Ko Wa was so sad she just ran away tearfully whilst Bak Chuen looked like a wood.




It was raining and Ko Wa suddenly slipped and knocked her head, and she fainted. Mr Kiu walked by and Mr Kiu quickly went to her aid and in the rain carried her home. Everybody at home was still talking about Mr Kiu's reaction to Chings insistene Ko Wa be fired and sudenly they saw Mr Kiu carrying her and he was panicking when he ordered "Find a doctor, fast!" and this episode ended weith their shocked faces.




Next 5 episodes, Ko Wa asks Mr Kiu to marry her, she angrily threw buns at Bak Chuen, Mr Kiu got arrested by Sung Man's father and Jun begs Sung Man to help and Sung Man looked tearful at what happened.




Massive drama next week so now we know Mr Kiu is evil!! Well I kinda know already because




1. Sung Lai is evil




2. Chan Hung Lit must do more than just be an old respected man




3. If not this how then Jun be pushed to marry Bak Chuen?




Remember the mistake? Sung man said he knew Bak Chuen 5 year ago. They first met when he was a beggar-ish guy after the deaths of his parents and then Mr Lam screamed he had lived 4 years. Ermm 1 year is still a big difference.




Anyway I pity Bak Chuen and Ko Wa. No sides to take here because I understand Bak Chuen's stand on this (he didn't want to harm Ko Wa since Mr Lam said he will kill everyone he loves and he wasn't sure if Mr Lam died or not) and Ko Wa's anguish at being ditchd just like that. It was a believable break up scene , however why can't Bak Chuen just tell her the truth? By not telling her she is no where more protected than she knowing. She has a right to know but well she will marry Mr Kiu. Poor girl. Poor Bak Chuen too. everytime they show flashbacks of his family, I felt a tinge of sadness and the way they were framed. Such a sad moment.




If you want to start watching this series, my recommendation is you must not miss the 1st 3 episodes of this series which shows some very powerful scenes that are both memorable and depressing. In fact the execution scene really defined Bak Chuen's character. Can't hate him for hurting Ko Wa.




Anyway in this episode 2 woods came to life. John Chiang suddenly had temper, not just stony faced serious look.Moses had emotions, not just wooden everything. In fact Moses' best scenes are always those who he reacted to injustice when it comes to his family. But other than that he is back to wooden, John Chiang is back to serious. One word can define their entire acting performance,




No sign of Lau Dan though except at the beginning and hie has better range, TWO acting expression, conniving look andworried conniving look.




Tavia had little role in here, more by Claire Yiu who did well althoiugh in more emotional scenes she faltered a bit, speaking her lines like breathless. I wonder what is holding her back? Can't she raise her voice a little? Since I think Ching would have little respect for Mr Kiu for wanting to have a new wife just 6 months after her mother died, even if this wasn't the truth.




Very little of Steven Ma but I still like him and his Sung Man.




Now Sonija Kwok gave her best performance thus far at the betrayal of Bak Chuen and her reaction. She is no longer the wood or rather automaton. Maybe she had a software upgrade? Kidding! She didvery well. I enjoyed her performance. I can still complain a bit since her best isn't really great type of best but since we are talking Sonija Kwok here, she did improve tremendously since this role suits her. She gave Ko Wa this perky personality that you can't help but like but of course I do feel a far better actress would have given her more consistency and more depth. Jus don't ask her to be shock, sad, angry and holding a bowl of noodle all at the same time. She can only handle 2 emotions at one time. But you know, she did well. Very well and I am sure any Sonija haters may watch this performance and may change their mind, a little. Not much, just a little since I read she is quitting TVB and joining the ranks of TVB actress in Mainland China TV series in those crappy big productions that value names than proper casting.




Anyway as I was writing the story of Bak Chuen and how he felt, I read that the new 007 movie wil be called The Quantum Of Solace and Daniel Craig explained it means how Bond couldn't even mourn for Vesper, or something like that. The sadness, the grief, all related to the title. Bak Chuen's story should have that title. He hardly had time to mourn, he was more like punishing hiself for some time and now revenge revenge revenge. But there is no mouning, just yet. This is Bak Chuen's Quantum Of Solace and both Jun and Ko Wa suffered the consequences.


 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Please observe rules of decorum and common courtesy when posting replies and comments.

© Copyright 2008- Funn Lim @ Point2e.com;