twitter



Written by Funn Lim


 


Today's episode is short in content since mostly about emotions. Last scene last night was a woodenly shocked Bak Chuen. Today's first scene is also that same woodenly shocked Bak Chuen, but time well poor Bak Chuen.


Mr Kiu happily announced his impending marriage and before Ching could even complain one bit, Mr Kiu shot her down by saying he's the father, so basically shut up. Everyone had to congratulate them, and Fu Yi Chek was very happy for his sister, strangely because I thought he would be the first to protest since Mr Kiu is you know kinda old for his sister and I am quite surprised he didn't question whether she did it out of love or something else. In fact where is Fu Yi Chek? He seems like he has changed like 360 degrees and twice over. Anyway everyone had to congratulate them and even Jun was ok with it since she said "I knew mother approved of this union but Ko Wa I never thought you feel the same way about father. I am very happy for you both" but 3 people were not happy; Ching for obvious reasons, Yun Tin for some reason and of course Bak Chuen for reasons he himself is to be blamed. And Bak Chuen had to look at them both and say congratulations. Trouble is Mr Kiu requested Bak Chuen to help Ko Wa prepare for the wedding and what can Bak Chuen do but meekly say yes?


So the preparations were on the way. Fu Yi Chek was very excited and Ko Wa pretended to be excited. Whilst in a shop when Bak Chuen and Ko Wa were alone, Bak Chuen pleaded "Ko Wa do you really want this? Please don't do this out of spite" and Ko Wa said with much anger "Unlike someone who dreams of riches and power, Mr Kiu is a good man. Moreover shouldn't you be happy for me? After Mr Kiu is the richest man in this state so I am to be gained in this union" and Bak Chuen had some flashback where Ko Wa angrily told him "If you won't appreciate me, someone else will!!".


And then the wedding came. It was big event, and by TVB standards may I saw HUGE MEGA SUPER DUPER event with so many people, horses, carriages, stuff. Ko Wa appeared in her wedding gown and may I say she was gorgeous. OK, Sonija was gorgeous, especially the head dress. Bak Chuen looked on like he was attending a funeral and because he was considered good friends with Ko Wa and like family, he played special duty on the day, standing nearby and such. Ko Wa was reminded by the lady next to her that tradition dictates when a girl marries, she must cry, pretend or otherwise to show her reluctance to leave her own family. So as Mr Kiu smiling and looked on with Ko Wa slowly passing a wooden Bak Chuen who refused to look at her and Ko Wa refused to look at him, her tears silently flowed. When she was in the sedan, she cried like nobody's business but she composed herself before the wedding. And so it was, she became Mrs Kiu.


Next day in the morning... ok pause here.. did she and Mr Kiu ermm you know consummate the marriage? Can he? Since he could hardly breath after some tai chi movements more so with a young pretty wife. Ok ok I deviated but did they?


Anyway in the morning, everybody paid their respect for Ko Wa as the new mistress of the family. Jun and Ching even had to call her mother but of course Ching never said it. With each drink of the tea she gave her wish, that Ching and Yun Tin will be blessed with a happy marriage and children, Jun will finally find her true love and interestingly Bak Chuen too knelt before her and received the tea. So if Mr Kiu saying he is like his son? Anyway she told Bak Chuen "Hmmm this tea is the most fragrant of all and I drink it with much pleasure. I hope for you much success as you so wanted" and Bak Chuen meekly said thanks. Fu Yi Chek will stay with them and Jun said "Of course father always wants family to be under one roof, remember uncle Cho?" and Mr Kiu shot her a warning look and she knew she said something wrong and Ko Wa said to Fu Yi Chek "Just because you're now the brother in law to Mr Kiu, you must remember to work hard. You can learn from everyone, especially 3rd taukeh (Bak Chuen) on the art of climbing the ladder of power since he is such an expert". Nobody noticed the dagger filled sentence but Bak Chuen did and I think he winced a little.


Life went on and Ko Wa was an attentive wife and Mr Kiu was happy. One day some wood carvings on the wall got broken or scratched and so Ko Wa wanted a new one and she recommended Bak Chuen since he was good at it. Mr Kiu didn't suspect anything and so Bak Chuen had to do double duty; work and wood carving. He recommended flowers as the motif but Ko Wa shot him down and said "Money should come first since husband is a businessman. I say wu lou (frankly don't know what is that called in English) so Bak Chuen at night carved away in the garden.


Pause here. Why is it still winter in Ping Yiu? So strange. Continue.


But as he was carving Ko Wa came and this time said "On second thought I don't want wu lou. To celebrate the recent union between husband and I, I would say make those ying yeong ducks". Bak Chuen meekly agreed but said "I will have to take more time since I will need to draw and plan how to do it" and Ko Wa said "Take all the time you want" but Bak Chuen said "However I will need to go for a business talk tomorrow with Fu Yi Chek. I will continue tomorrow" and Ko Wa angrily said "No! You will stay here until you finish this! I am sure you can see how respectful husband is to me, I need only to tell him one and he will grant all my wishes. Didn't you expect this? That I would be so influential on his decisions? Fan Chi Chai you will finish this and if you must know no matter how well you do it I will still criticise it!" and she stormed off. Bak Chuen looked on hopelessly.


As Ko Wa passed through Mr Kiu's room, she sighed a little and wanted to walk on but Mr Kiu saw her and invited her in. She smiled and became the good wife. Mr Kiu wanted to give Bak Chuen something to eat but Ko Wa said no need since he has left. And still Mr Kiu did not suspect anything.


Next day Bak Chuen was carving at night the ducks, looking over the drawings when Ko Wa walked in and spitefully said "Why is the ducks carved that way? Are you implying you're not satisfied with my union with Mr Kiu and you wish to jinx it?". This time Bak Chuen quietly said "I will do it again" but Ko Wa said "Why are you so meek? Are you so desperate for fame and fortune that you are willing to put up with this abuse? You're such a useless man" which was too much to be coming out from Ko Wa but Bak Chuen said "Ko Wa, if I may say this, why not let bygones be bygones? You have married Mr Kiu and you should learn to appreciate him. Whatever that was in the past, let's leave it at that" and Ko Wa was unsatisfied and angrily said "No! I am not satisfied with your answers. You never gave me one. You never explained why you left me, you never gave me a good answer. Why? Why did you leave me?" and Bak Chuen said "Whatever the reason may be it is no longer of any importance. Whatever I have to say has no more bearing in our relationship than it did in the past" and Ko Wa was so angry with his non answer that she pushed all the things on the table on the floor and stormed off leaving Bak Chuen alone and ermm I suppose sad.


Anna was painting Cixi and Cixi liked her very much. Now Cixi was in retirement but she still met with the officials in secret, supposedly to  enquire what is going on with the new administration but actually giving warnings that no changes must be made.  Mr Cheung recognise Anna. Anna visited them and wanted the painting he did for Sung Man back to improve on it but they said it was with Sung Man in Ping Yiu and she was kinda disappointed.


Mr Cheung told Sung Lai to pay Sung Man a visit and if possible to drag him back home. But Sung Lai said he was there for for Miss Kiu and Mr Cheung said "What must I do to make him understand that this union is not possible? Miss Kiu may be from a rich family but they're greedy, they just wanted power and reputation". I am surprised how Mr Kiu arrived at this conclusion.


At Ping Yiu everyone know Sung Lai was there but he has yet to pay the Kius a visit.  Sung Man assured Jun his brother was simply busy but Jun was worried. Anyway Jun asked Sung Man "Have you ever thought of going into business?" and Sung Man said "No, never" and Jun asked "But you yourself said the civil service is a corrupted place. Why then do you persist?" and Sung Man said "Someone has to have some hope in our great empire. The Emperor is making changes and I want to be part of it, making it credible again".


Sung Lai finally visited Mr Kiu and Sung Man was with him. After all the greetings, Sung Lai said bluntly "My father wishes me to say that due to the busy schedule, my father would not be able to discuss about the wedding with Mr Kiu for some time, your forgiveness is most appreciated" and Sung Man was shocked and Mr Kiu remained smiling saying it was ok.


In the gardens Sung Man asked "Brother how can you say that to Mr Kiu? Luckily Mr Kiu is a man with a great heart, he will surely overlook what you said" and Sung Lai said "What do you expect father to say? You have never written to him at all of course he is angry" and Sung Man asked "What about mother?" and Sung Lai said "What more can mother say?" and Sung Man asked "What about my marriage with Miss Kiu?" and Sung Lai said "Sung Man don't you understand? This union is not possible" and Sung Man didn't get it and asked "Why? What is wrong with Miss Kiu?" and right at that moment Jun walked by and Sung Lai saw her but Sung Man's back was facing her so he didn't see her. Sung Lai spoke loudly to make sure she heard it too "Sung Man, father will never approve of this union. We are a family of scholars and of impeccable reputation. Although Miss Kiu is from a rich family they do not move in the same circle as we do. They're merchants with filthy smell of money and nothing else. You will do better to forget about any chance of an union between these 2 family and return home with me to get back into the civil service". Jun was almost in tears and so was Sung Man, looking very distressed but she didn't see it.


With Ko Wa, Jun expressed her fear to Ko Wa "I am afraid, I am afraid he might choose his career over me. I never knew his family disliked me so much. What should I do? I don't want to lose him and yet I fear, I fear he would leave me and we will never be together" and Ko Wa angrily said "What is it with men and their careers? Why they place such importance in careers without any regards to the feelings of the woman they love? I am sure Sung Man is not such a man and I hope he is not" but Jun was not convinced. She was in tears, with much fear in her.


By the way remember that Uncle Lam that Bak Chuen thought he killed? He didn't die but instead got killed by Mr Cho who found out Mr Lam took his money, never intended to give him the government contract. Hong Fei took the blame and went to jail, for a few years I think. Bak Chuen didn't know all these.


Next episode, Ko Wa knew she made a terrible mistake, Bak Chuen refused to let her redeem herself and Mr Kiu found out what was so apparent in this episode. Exciting sordid stuff.


No comments on the performances. Absolutely no comments. Depressing isn't it? I enjoyed this series and yet no comments. No opinion. Why? WHYYYY? Have I become those who just watch for the sake of watching?


 




2 comments:

  1. I actually feel sorry for Jun because Sung Man didn't stand up for her in front of his family. As Jun said, she was worried because Sung Man just sat there and said nothing to protest and she feels insecure.

    In truth, I didn't expect that from Sung Man. He seems so independent and confident. For him to just sit there and look worried seems out of charcater for me. I mean this is a guy who ran away form home when his dad wanted him to study - its not as if he is fully controlled by his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I think how he reacted was appropriate because he is independent and confident but he is also respectful of his family's opinion and wishes so what his father says, he does. Moreover the issue of marriage in the olden days have always been for the family to decide. I didn't think he wasn't standing up for Jun but rather he was very confused and he didn;'t know what to do which was why he was quiet but in tears. Jun didn't see the tears so she assumed wrongly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Please observe rules of decorum and common courtesy when posting replies and comments.

© Copyright 2008- Funn Lim @ Point2e.com;